Thursday, January 24, 2008

Technology in the classroom

After our discussion in Tuesday's class about the use of technology in a classroom, it made me think of reasons why it would be beneficial. I am not that good with computers, but I can get by. The kids today know so much more about computers and its also interesting to them. Kids need to be intersted in learning and I think that using technology that they know will make them want to learn more.
As I did my student teaching last semester, I saw that using any kind of technology the students would get very excited and interested in my lesson. In the beginning of my student teaching I used mostly the overhead, and also the graphing calculator. Towards the end of the semester we got a smartboard in the classroom and I was able to use that in my lessons. The students were jumping out of their seats if I asked if someone could come to the board to show their work. They loved it. The smartboard is benefical because its very interactive. If a student did not understand a certain concept we were able to go to the internet, play games, or other activities. It is a great technology. Even though it is new the students were able to help my cooperating teacher and I set up the smartboard with the computer, and I thought that was great.
I think that using technology in a lesson is a great way to keep the students interested and having fun. Because they know they are not allowed to have their ipods and cell phones in class, and I think that if we did use that in our lesson they would get very excited. Hey, maybe they know things you can do with a cell phone or ipod that we don't know that could be very useful. Everyone learns something new everyday, and I think it is time for us teachers to learn more about using technology in a lesson.

5 comments:

Mad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Luongo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Luongo said...

Great blog, Chrissy!

Your unique take on technology is one we need in education. Many teachers can get stuck in a rut, but new teachers like you will be able to help change this perception.

I am glad to have you and your expertise in class!

DTP said...

Smartboards are great! During my sophomore field experience, I actually got to use one for my lesson as well. If I hadn't had it, or utlized it, my lesson (on semi colon use) would have been exceedingly boring. The students enjoyed the opportunity to go up and use the electronic pens to write them on the board. Definitely a life saver.

Srta. Cross said...

I had Smartboards in my high school, and they were so much fun! They started in just the math classes, and then were in almost every class in the school by my senior year. Even though a lot of the teachers didn't utilize the internet access and stuff like that, it made the lessons more interesting than just writing on a chalkboard or using overheads.