Thursday, March 6, 2008

Teachers

Today when I was in my philosophy class my teacher made a very interesting comment. He said even though he was a professor he would not be able to last two weeks as a high school teacher. The other students laughed and asked why. His answer was that being a teacher is a lot of work and he doesn't think he would be able to handle all the work they put in. I thought about this because so many people thinking teachers have it so easy. They always ask what is so hard about being a teacher when you have off summers and holidays. Teachers work so hard to prepare for classes the next day. Sometimes you will be up all night trying to put a lesson together or grade tests/papers. I wish people would understand how much work we are going to put in. I know this profession is not a high paying job, but it should be with all the work we will be doing.
While my teacher was talking about how much work a high school teacher has, he was also saying how much he admires high school teachers. Even though he doesn't think he could do it, he thinks its amazing that we can. We are making a difference in student's lives and it makes me so happy to become a teacher. This is definitely the most rewarding profession I think.
Last class we were talking about our dreams when we were little. I used to want to be a dolphin trainer, but I also wanted to become a teacher. I only wanted to be a trainer because I love dolphins and I thought it would make people happy watching me. But as I got older, I would take home my books at the end of the school year and I would pretend to be a teacher and my brothers were my students. I loved it and I loved helping them with their homework. Especially when they would do good on a test and I helped them. It is the best feeling in the world. I am so happy I chose this profession. I am excited to teach and help students!

2 comments:

Mad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
catarina said...

Hey! I know what you mean. It always aggravates me when people think being a teacher is so easy. I never thought that and now that I am becoming one I certainly don't think so. I know we get the summers off and holidays but we have to worry about so many other things, people just don't understand the dedication and passion one must have to be a teacher! I wish they would, maybe they wouldn't give teachers such a hard time.
~Catarina