Thursday, February 7, 2008

Assessments in the classroom

When I think of assessments I think of tests. Personally, I hate tests. I am definitely not a good test taker. I think tests are scary, and when I go to take one like the SAT or even the Praxis I blank out. As a future teacher, I want to try different ways of assessment because I know that a test can not prove everything you really know. Yes, I do believe to give a test at the end of a chapter, but it shouldn't be the only way to evaulate a students knowledge.
There are students who are great test takers, but do not understand the material. Then those who could tell you all the material before you go into the test, and then don't do well. I think there should be different assessements such as group work, activities, quizzes, etc. I would love to learn different techniques in assessments instead of just tests. Because most of the time students will take a test, but as soon as the test is over they forget everything, I am very used to that! We need to do things in the classroom for students to remember for years. Like I said in class, to learn the Preamble of the constitution our class had to make up a song and dance. This really helped me learn and remember.

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Assessment can be associated with TESTS.

TEST can be a four-letter word. oh, it is!

As an educator, you can assess in a variety of forms. Even in math you can use tools such as math journals, portfolios, work samples, conferences, and self-evalutions.

Great post!

Mohammad Awadallah said...

I agree ...for me even hearing the word 'Test" make's me nervous,lol..Once I begin teaching I will try to use different way's to evaluate my student's, I like the idea of online quizzes or even graded worksheet's or take home essay's..etc.

mfatouros said...

yeah. i know what u mean. i like that in this class we take the quizzes online at our own leisure. i think id incorporate that into my teaching style. also, i used to like taking little quizzes in class and then having my neighbor grade it. that was always fun lol. but yeah i know what u mean...tests and term papers freak me out.