Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lock Down

Yesterday was one interesting day for Saint Peter's College. At first I thought a friend of mine was joking around about the lock down because he got a text message. I guess I should have read my email from campus safety to put my phone number on their list to get these kinds of text messages. I honestly did not even know that they did this. But anyway, my friend got this message but my teacher had no idea what was going on. Then I just thought it was another threat like last year where we had to go outside. That was the one thing that kept bothering me, that if it was a bomb threat why weren't we leaving the buildings. I realized then it must be something more. That's when I started to worry a little. I felt a little better knowing that the police were there and our school was taking such high precaution. I am actually happy it took a long time before we could go back to our rooms! It just amazes me what people are thinking when they make these threats. Why? I just don't understand how much anger someone has to do this. At least we are all safe now.
It never really hit me that this could happen to me or my school until now!! When I was student teaching we would have lock down drills, or evacuation drills to help the students incase something like this ever happened to them. You just never know.

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

No, you do not know. It is scary and sad.

Like I said to Joe on his blog, make sure to talk to someone if you need to. Even though it ended up being "just a threat", its still an upsetting situation.

Thank you for sharing.

mfatouros said...

Yeah, it's pretty sick what some people do. What's worse is that all these things are occuring in schools, places where WE'RE gonna work soon lol. All these shootings and events going on in schools and colleges really worry me when I think about teaching in the school system. I guess it's just one thing we're gonna have to deal with.
--Mike

sifth said...

I know exactly what you mean, it was truly a crazy experience. I wrote about this in my blog as well.