Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"A Different Kind of Student Exam"

I was reading this article and found it very interesting. It was about school districts who require Breathalyzer tests before entering the school for a prom or activity. Students in this article do not believe this is fair. They think it violates their privacy. I do not think it violates a students privacy. I can understand that the school districts want to watch the safety of their students. So many students are starting to drink at such a young age and schools really have to try to reduce this problem. And if giving Breathalyzer tests to students to reduce this problem then they should be able to do it.
Breathalyzer tests are not the only thing that is getting students into trouble. MySpace pictures are also a threat for underage students. If athletes have pictures of them drinking and they are underage they can be suspended from the team, and school. I know this was a major issue when I came to school especially when Facebook became popular. Its not even just underage drinking, but you are not allowed to be drinking during your season and if you get caught in pictures you can be suspended.
Read this article, it is very interesting. Give your thoughts about the Breathalyzer tests, and the pictures online. Do you think it is fair? Or do you think whatever you do outside of school is your own business and schools shouldn't interfere?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/30breathalyzerct.html?ref=education

6 comments:

Alisha said...

I completely understand why administrators would want to use breathalyzers at dances. A lot of students know that there is no way they can have alcohol at a school party. So they opt to drink before they get to the party. Underage drinking is a problem and I think the breathalyzers services as a prevention of alcohol use at school functions. However, one of the students in the article made a very valid point. If a student wants to drink then they will find a way to do it. Privacy becomes an issue when social networks like MySpace and Facebook are involved. Honestly, I don’t know whether schools should be allowed to view your social profile and suspend you for something not done on school grounds. I am kind of on the fence about that.

catarina said...

I agree with you. So many dangerous things occur because teens decided to drink before they arrive at a party, such as: fights and accidents. I am sure that this test angers the students because it puts another restriction on them but it is really a safety precaution. I believe it would decrease a lot of issues.

Dr. Luongo said...

Great article, Chrissy...

Also, in response to your post on Jackie's blog about Special Education.... we will have a master's program starting the fall!

Thanks for posting~

sifth said...

It’s a shame just how bad teen drinking has become but I feel some of these methods are needed in order to prevent teen drinking in schools.

mfatouros said...

I don't care if kids drink, you know. We all drank in High School even though we weren't supposed to. However, children shouldn't be drinking before school activities. It's a distraction and hazard to everyone around them. A private party is one thing, but an event with school officials and police officers is just downright stupid. Also, people should be wary of what they post on Myspace. The internet is a public forum and anyone can access this information.
--Mike

Susan Mascolo said...

Um, not everyone drank in high school. I didn't drink in high school. People who came to prom drunk (not many did-it was a small college prep school, so most of us did have brains)expected everyone to see them and whisper about them, because these were the type of the girls who loved gossip. Well, no one cared that they showed up drunk. If kids show up drunk to prom, it really says a lot about the parents. Why didn't the parents see them off to the dance? Why didn't they gather to take pictures of their children? If kids test positive for alcohol with the breathalyzer, parents will be going to jail (if the student is under 18). And you know that? Maybe that is fair.

I can't decide if I think the use of breathalyzers is a good idea. I think it would cut down on a lot of troubles, but has the potential to create new ones.

As far as Facebook goes, I'm an RA and I am not allowed to post any pictures of myself with alcohol and the like-so I just untagged myself in photos and made my page private. I believe in personal privacy for everyone. If people minded their own business, this world would be a better place. As a teacher, I would advise students not to post pictures of them using alcohol or drugs, and of course tell them that they shouldn't be doing these things anyway.

I could go on about this forever.